EMAA is conscious of the tremendous responsibilities that has been entrusted to the organization by the nation to meet the objectives and expectations of the country in providing to it one of its great national assets, a successful and respected maritime industry. It is the expectation that the maritime industry will be self-sufficient, capable of assisting in providing jobs and raising the overall standard of living of Ethiopian society.
EMAA has adopted the system approach to achieve the national aspirations and set itself a vision to be implemented over the coming 10 years. This vision leads to the policy statement for EMAA.
The larger all-encompassing national vision is to create a large middle class replacing those below the poverty line. It is the vision of the Maritime Authority to provide excellent maritime services to fulfill this national vision.
EMAA’s vision will be updated and changed by the leadership on directives of the Transport ministry and the 5 year plans. Some of the vital items in this vision are:
- To ensure maritime accessibility and mobility of the people and goods both in the domestic waters and in the international waters.
- To integrate into the national plans for the development of multi modal transportation by providing world class maritime organization and service second to none.
- To widen market opportunities in the maritime sector by providing exceptionally efficient, cost effective, safe, secure and environmentally compliant service.
- To efficiently regulate the Ethiopian maritime fleet on an appropriate framework compliant with legal and institutional arrangements.
- Be the reliable advisor on maritime matters for the Ministry of Transportation and to provide timely inputs, suggestions and draft regulations related to the maritime transportation.
- To emphasize the resources for the implementation of the policy including human, technological and IT infrastructure.
- To provide for the expansion of dry port infrastructure in the country.
- To use the system based approach based on international standards to ensure efficiency, security, and environmental protection and to create an environment of social responsibility in all maritime operations.
- To create efficient support services for both the national and international Ethiopian vessels.
- Provide necessary arrangements for SAR (Search and Rescue) and be recognized as a lead, reliable and efficient ship registry in the world.
The Policy of the Ethiopian Maritime Affairs Authority (EMAA) aligns to the National Transport Policy and the Growth and Transformation Plan (5 Year Plan) in as much as it concerns the maritime industry.
EMAA is committed to the maritime industry contributing to the Ethiopian economy and in reduction of poverty by providing world class, competent and timely maritime services ensuring:
- A safe and secure maritime environment
- And conduct of maritime operations in a socially responsible manner.
EMAA leadership is committed to resourcing both human and material requirements, providing a leading maritime administration and world class maritime training, leading to competent mariners. Further to ensuring efficient operations including technological needs and encouraging innovation whilst ensuring continual improvement.
EMAA is committed to meeting Government directives and requirements; improving the effectiveness of its work to the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia (FDRE).
EMAA will set achievable measurable goals for the Maritime Administration. Towards this end the existing statistical data in Ethiopia and the historical international data for the following will be ascertained:
- To plan, coordinate and enforce requirements so they result in the transport operations and movement of goods in import and export sectors becoming more economical.
- To reduce waste and cut costs by better coordination with the concerned government bodies.
- To seek ways and means for the promotion and development of marine transport.
- Ensure the availability of uninterrupted resource of skilled man power in the maritime sector for the country.
- To implement obligations and rights of Ethiopia under international maritime conventions.
Further it is the objective of the Director assisted by his Deputy that all departments at EMAA are organized, re-organized (where required) to run EMAA in an efficient well organized manner resulting in:
- 100% compliance of the maritime sector with international safety, environmental and security standards.
- Use the information from compiled data by analysis to appreciate risks and implement measures to mitigate risks.
- Run a customer-focused organization, meeting customer requirements and striving to exceed customer expectations. Feedback will be analyzed.
- Leadership will promote higher management standards by training, exposure and keeping track of competencies to create and maintain the internal environment in which EMAA staff can become fully involved in achieving the organization’s objectives.
- Utilize System approach to achieve set goals in meeting the EMAA policy and work toward achieving the vision more efficiently by ensuring needed resources and activities are managed as a process; integrating interrelated processes for a given objective.
- Insist on Continual Improvement as a permanent objective of the organization. Non Conformities, performance measures, risk analysis and lessons learnt from exercises and actual instances to be 100% monitored and analyzed.
- Follow a factually informed, reason driven approach to decision making based on the analysis of data and information.
- Identify and select mutually beneficial relationships with outsourced processes including other institutes in the maritime industry and the shipping companies by dynamic and involved leadership from EMAA.